Saturday, July 16, 2016

Homemade Veggie Burgers


I often rely on frozen store bought veggie burgers, they are convenient and some are very tasty. While they are a better alternative to meat, they are highly processed and have some questionable ingredients.  So I've come up with my own burgers which are super healthy, high in fiber and delicious. No, they don't taste like meat, so get that out of your head, if you think of them as traditional burgers you might be disappointed.

This recipe makes about 18 burgers, so I freeze them to have a great satisfying meal anytime. For dinner I like to serve them with sauteed onions and mushrooms with melted cheddar on top or serve with a salad and some guacamole at lunch time.


Ingredients:

2 cups Lentils cooked and drained (I sometimes use chick peas or other beans)
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 large vidalia chopped onion 2 cups
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 red bell pepper diced
4 eggs
1 can water chestnuts drained and chopped
1 cup white Mushrooms chopped
1 Shredded carrot
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons Braggs Amino Acids
3 tablespoons flax seeds
2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
2 tablespoons organic ketchup
2 cloves of garlic chopped 
*1 cup breadcrumbs

*Breadcrumbs or ground almonds/walnuts or wheat germ or uncooked oats  - I mix a few of these ingredients, based on what I have on hand

Blend ingredients in a large bowl until thoroughly mixed. If mixture is too wet add more *breadcrumbs.
Shape into patties. I use about a 1/4 per pattie.

Bake on a lightly oiled cookie sheet at 350ยบ or I found parchment paper to be easier, because they do stick a little.
Flip them after 15 minutes. They are very soft, so if the come apart a bit, no problem, you can just reshape them with your spatula.

Bake for another 10- 15 minutes.

At this point I melt cheese on a the ones I am serving and I let the rest cool before freezing.

While you are eating these burgers, you can look at my cow paintings and feel totally guilt-free. They are lovely animals aren't they?
These two paintings "Have A Cow" and "Cow A Bunga" were sold, but I sell them as prints in My Shop

I can also make an original for you from $75., check out the details here:
Custom Orders


Have a Cow Print

Cow A Bunga Print



1 comment: