Friday, June 3, 2016

Spinach Pancakes

These pancakes are so delicious and with 2 cups of fresh spinach and 1/4 cup of flax seeds, they don't make us feel guilty about having a huge serving of carbs.



We eat these on our cheat day, Sunday, which in our house means extra carb day, but we like to include lots of fiber and greens throughout the day, so we can always feel good.

The first time I tried this, I took a basic pancake recipe and added a cup of spinach. That came out so good, so next time I added two cups of spinach, and then some flax seeds.  I throw it all in the blender and it's easy to pour the batter into the pan. I use coconut oil cooking spray to cook the pancakes and then top them off with real maple syrup and butter. 

As you can see by the photo, we like to have scrambled free range eggs and some veggie sausage with them.  I am working on coming up with my own veggie sausage recipe, because the frozen processed ones are not ideal. 

The mug in the photo is a portrait I painted of my husband's four Greyhounds. I am a pet portrait artist, you can click here to see my pet portrait price list with photos of cats and dogs that I have painted. 

Here's the Pancake Recipe:

Ingredients
2 cups packed fresh spinach
1 cup milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
2 free range eggs
1 tablespoon oil or melted butter
1 cup flour (I use King Arthur Flour, because it's much healthier) 
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoons flax seeds 
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)


Place all the ingredients in the blender, and mix until smooth. You may add more flour or milk to adjust the consistency.

Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium high heat. Pour the batter into the pan, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot with plenty of butter and pure maple syrup, yum!

Greyhounds Portrait on Society6 Products




6 comments:

  1. What a delicious breakfast darling I would never have thought they would have tasted so good, you are a genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for yor support Manny and I don’t know what I would do without your excellent photos😀

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful way of making a "healthy green veggie" into a wonderful breakfast. I am going to try it tomorrow. Mac will finally eat a green veggie. and enjoy it.
    All of your recipes are excellent. Can't wait for the others. Your art is also in your food. Excellent! Guy's, go see her art also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support Sara! I think that you & Mac will really enjoy these, please let me know how they come out 😀

      Delete
  3. Those pancakes look delicious Gretzky and I bet they taste even better than they look! Thanks for the healthy recipe. I can't wait to see what else you post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie, they really are delish. I hope you try them😀

      Delete