Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Hearty Seafood Chowder


This is an easy healthy seafood soup made with clams fish and shrimp, it reminds me of  New England Clam Chowder, and gives me a seaside feeling.

I use canned clams because they are inexpensive and quick. I drain and rinse them to reduce excess sodium and preservatives.
I scrub the potatoes and carrots with a vegetable brush and leave the skin on for extra fiber and nutrients.
I use water instead of vegetable stock, because all of the ingredients I add to this recipe become reduced into a flavorful broth.
There is no need for the extra fat and calories of flour, cream or cornstarch, as the potatoes cook down, they thicken the soup. You can add extra potatoes to make it even thicker.

I usually start this soup an hour before dinner.
Makes about 4 servings.

Ingredients:

1 Vidalia Onion diced
2 white potatoes diced with skin on
2 chopped carrots
2 chopped celery stalks
1/4 red bell pepper diced
5 or 6 button mushrooms
3/4 cup white cooking wine
1  10. oz. can whole clams, drained and rinsed
1 fish filet ( any type; salmon, tilapia, flounder, mahi, etc.)
about 7-10 large shrimp
1/4 stick of butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
sea salt & pepper to taste

Sometimes I also add 1 small zucchini and a handful of fresh spinach or some fresh chopped parsley.

Directions:

In a soup pot, sauté the onion in olive oil on a medium heat for a couple minutes until soft. Add the clams and potatoes with about four cups of water making sure the ingredients are completely covered with water, Raise the temperature to med-high, add the seasoning, bring to a boil. Keep uncovered and allow the soup to continue boiling as you add all of the vegetables.
Add the fish and shrimp. I just put the filet in whole, it breaks up mostly on its' own, I sometimes use a spatula to help break it up.
At this point I add the wine and the water has usually boiled down quite a bit, so I add more water and let it boil for about 20-30 minutes more and stir in the butter right before serving.

Since this chowder gives me a seaside feeling, I thought I'd show you some of my ocean paintings;

Ocean Abstract Print
Ocean Abstract Original Painting

Sun & Sea Digital Art Print
Montauk Print

Sailboat under the stars Original Painting
See more at My Shop
I hope you enjoy the soup!


2 comments:

  1. The chowder was the best I've ever had!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chowder was the best I've ever had!!!!!

    ReplyDelete