Sunday, June 26, 2016

Easy Baked Fish



I make this simple recipe about once a week. Fish baked in the oven is an easy, light, delicious healthy meal. I use a mild filleted fish for this recipe like flounder, cod or mahi mahi, but you can use any kind of fish you like.

You can easily adjust the servings to make this dish with one or two fillets by reducing some of the ingredients and then cut the baking time in half.

I don't actually measure anything, I just throw it all in the pan and bake it. The amounts below are just guidelines and you can also add other vegetables like zucchini, carrots, cabbage, artichoke hearts or anything you have on hand.

Ingredients:

6-8 flounder fillets or your fish of choice
1 diced Vidalia onion
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup diced red bell peppers
2 lemons
1/2 cup white cooking wine
olive oil
Italian seasoning, onion and garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons capers s an optional garnish

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Lightly grease or spray a large baking pan.

Rinse fish fillets, place in pan, top with onions and vegetables, the juice of one of the lemons, sprinkle generously with seasonings, add wine and drizzle with olive oil.

Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. I usually make my salad while the fish is baking and I tend to get busy with tons of things so I have left this in the oven for much longer. Since I am cooking at 350°F and there is lots of liquid, it has never dried out. Many baked fish recipes have you set the oven for a higher temperature and bake for less time, but my method allows it to cook slower and when you leave it in longer the onions get brown and caramelized and all of the flavors to build and meld to produce a savory memorable meal.

Garnish with capers and lemon slices. Serve with a big green salad. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment