Saturday, June 4, 2016

Chocolate Meal Replacement Smoothie

This ultra thick shake is packed with magnesium, calcium, protein, omega 3's and potassium and it gives me just about all of the nutrients needed to keep me feeling healthy, alert and strong all day long.

Chocolate Shake with My Abstract Painting 'Joyous' in the background.

  I used to drink chocolate protein powder shakes as a meal replacement. I always wanted them thicker, so I would cheat and add an extra scoop of powder to the milk.  I tried all different kinds, but they always made me more hungry, in fact right after drinking them I would crave something cheesy and hearty. It seemed like they made me ravenous. My meal replacement turned out to be an extra serving of sugar and calories.

So I cut out the powders, and now I make a banana chocolate smoothie 
with chick peas, spinach, nuts and seeds that give me 
lasting satiety, energy and strength.


My recipe varies, so I'll give you a basic one and substitutions are listed below.

1 ripe banana
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup Ghirardelli 60% Cacao bittersweet
chocolate chips
1/2 cup cooked, chilled Chick Peas (I cook a batch from dried once a week)
4 cups raw spinach
3 tablespoons chia seeds
1/4 cup raw almonds

Blend all ingredients on the highest setting and then blend a second time with about 1 cup of ice, if it's too thick add a little water to reach desired consistency.





This recipe makes a super thick double serving, so I drink half today and save half for tomorrow. It usually gets thicker in the fridge, so I add water to thin it a bit.


SUBSTITUTIONS

1 Banana - 1/2 Avocado
Almond Milk - any milk or water
Chick peas - white beans or any type of beans, I prefer cooking my own dried beans, but canned may be used also
Spinach - Romaine Lettuce, kale
Chocolate Chips - Cocoa Powder
Raw Almonds - Walnuts, sunflower seeds, cashews
 Chia Seeds - Flax seeds or Hemp seeds.

Feel free to play around with the ingredients, you may also add some maple syrup or raw honey to make it sweeter.

Enjoy your shake and let me know how you like it.
While you're drinking it, check out my 'Joyous' painting on 
clothing, phone cases, bags and cool stuff for the home.

Joyous painting on various products

Mugs
Shower Curtains
Pillows

or

2 comments:

  1. This truly is a fabulous and yummy breakfast experience. I want to go make myself one right now! thanks Gretzky!

    ReplyDelete